[Computational-biology] Re: Promoter SNPs

VP via comp-bio%40net.bio.net (by amfitrionasNOSPAM at yahoo.gr)
Wed Oct 4 23:47:30 EST 2006

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 07:41:42 +0300, VP <amfitrionasNOSPAM at yahoo.gr>

1) How about this method:

I went here: www.pubmed.com and I have chosen the GENE database.
Let's say I was interested at the VWF promoter gene polymorphisms.
I typed VWF itno the search box and it gave me the VWF gene
information for several organisms. I chose HOMO SAPIENS, but not the
gene itself but the word links at the top right of the name of the
Then I chose GeneViewIndbSNP and it gave me all the SNPs for the VWF
gene, here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?locusId=7450.
At the bottom of this page there are 11 SNPs, TO THE GENOMIC REGION
NEAR THE VWF GENE. My question is:

2) I have also found this:

Is it worth trying? I tried it and it gave me a dead link.

3) Another question: If you have the RS number for a given SNP, is
there an easy way to find if this is a promoter SNP?