[Computational-biology] Distance courses using R

Heather Vincent via comp-bio%40net.bio.net (by Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk)
Wed Dec 21 07:30:33 EST 2011

At the University of Manchester, UK, we now have nearly 15 years
experience in teaching a range of online Masters level courses in
computational biology.  These courses are designed to enable those with
a background in the life sciences, computer science, mathematics or
related disciplines to update their skills, while remaining in the
workplace. The courses are also very suitable for home study, helping
you to keep in touch with a research environment while taking a career
break.

http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/index.html

The modules running next semester, from March 2012, include :

Bioinformatics for transcriptomics
and
Mathematics for metabolic modelling

The new methods for transcriptomics are bringing new challenges in
bioinformatics. Our course in 'Bioinformatics for transcriptomics'
covers microarray data analysis in depth, and also introduces the areas
where new work is needed for next generation sequence (RNA-seq) analysis.

http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/transcriptomics.html

'Mathematics for metabolic modelling' is a practical course, designed to
help biologists to understand biological problems. It is intended to
prepare people for our more advanced course in computational systems
biology, which will run again in October 2012.  Students are introduced
to R, which is then used for the practical exercises.

For a list of all our online courses, please visit :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/index.html

If you have any questions, or would like advice on the options, please
contact our office for Advanced Professional Education (ape from cs.man.ac.uk).