[Computational-biology] ACM-BCB Call for Tutorials

Sam Volchenboum via comp-bio%40net.bio.net (by acmbcb from uchicago.edu)
Tue Feb 8 22:54:43 EST 2011

*Call for Tutorials*

*ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Biomedicine *

*http://acmbcb.org/*

*Important Dates*

Tutorial proposal submission deadline:     March 20, 2011

Tutorial acceptance notification:                 April 15, 2011

Submission of final tutorial material:         July 1, 2011

This call is an invitation to experts in the field of bioinformatics and
computational biology, as well as to individuals working at the intersection
of computer science and medicine, to present a tutorial at ACM-BCB 2011. We
are looking for tutorials discussing state-of-the art analysis methods that
provide the audience with broad insights into the discussed methodologies,
and with practical knowledge of how to apply them on their own datasets.

We are particularly interested in the following tutorial areas:

   - *Protein function prediction and genome variation analysis*: With the
   advent of high-throughput sequencing in biomedicine, there is a need for
   analytical approaches for predicting the effect of sequence variation on
   protein function. We are interested in tutorials that give an overview of
   this exciting area, discussing available tools and methodological approaches
   based on evolutionary, biophysical or machine-learning principles.
   - *High throughput sequencing.* We welcome submissions discussing
   pertinent problems, such as peak calling algorithms, approaches to measure
   differential gene expression, and methods for variant discovery.
   - *Machine learning and data integration*: The availability of large
   image, text and -omics data sets in biomedicine requires efficient data
   mining approaches. We encourage submissions presenting state of the art
   machine learning approaches, and present case studies of applying the tools
   on image, text or -omics data. We are equally interested in presentations
   that discuss advanced data integration tools in biomedicine.
   - *Cloud computing and workflow tools*: Given the increasing demands for
   storage and computing resources, there is a growing trend towards hosting
   analytical services remotely. In parallel, there are a growing number of
   workflow tools that facilitate processing of large datasets by bundling
   different analytical tools, or orchestrate remote data processing.  We
   are interested in tutorials that discuss emerging trends and standards,
   discuss the necessary steps of moving code to the cloud, and current
   implementations for processing biomedical data.

Tutorials are open to all conference attendees without extra costs and
should be 2h long (we may be able to accommodate longer presentations).
Tutorial proposals should be submitted electronically in PDF format *no
later than March 21, 2011* to:

Michael Krauthammer, MD PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Pathology

300 George Street, Suite 505

Yale University School of Medicine

Email: michael.krauthammer from yale.edu

Tutorial submission should adhere to the following format

*Basic information:* Title, description (please provide enough information
to allow a thorough evaluation, 1 page maximum), name and contact
information for each tutor (there can be length of the proposed tutorial. If
the intended tutorial is expected to take longer than 2 hours a rationale is
expected. Also identify any other venues in which the tutorial has been or
will be presented.

*Audience:* Proposals must clearly identify the intended audience for the
tutorial (e.g., novice, intermediate, expert).

   - What background will be required of the audience?
   - Why is this topic important/interesting to the ACM community?
   - What is the benefit to participants?
   - Provide some informal evidence that people would attend (e.g., related
   workshops).

*Coverage:* Enough material should be included to provide a sense of both
the scope of material to be covered and the depth to which it will be
covered. The more details that can be provided, the better (up to and
including links to the actual slides or viewgraphs). Note that the tutors
should not focus mainly on their own research results. If, for certain parts
of the tutorial, the material comes directly from the tutors' own research
or product, please indicate this clearly in the proposal.

*Bios: *Provide brief biographical information on each tutor (including
qualifications with respect to the tutorial's topic).

*Special equipment (if any):* Please indicate any additional equipment
needed (if any). The standard equipment includes an LCD projector, an
overhead projector, a single projection screen and microphones.

The deadline for submitting the final tutorial material is *July 1, 2011*.
Presentation should be submitted in PowerPoint or PDF format, and
accompanying notes should be submitted in PDF format.