Looking for amphipods (Schisturella)

Scott C France scf at hopper.unh.edu
Fri Aug 2 17:11:32 EST 1996

I am looking for amphipods of the genus Schisturella for a study on the
evolution of this deep-sea group.  I am hoping to locate non-type
specimens in addition to the type material, with a goal towards including
them in a genetic analysis.  The non-types are critical to the genetic
component, as, to my knowledge, at least 4 of the species were described
from unique specimens (S. abyssi, S. cocula, S. robusta, S. tracalero).
If any of you have, or know of, such collections, I would love to hear
from you.

Listed below are the known species (as of Barnard & Karaman, 1991) and
collection localities.

S. abyssi (Chevreux, 1926) Gascogne Gulf, Cedros Trench (Baja Calif),
	Tasman Sea, 2700-4400 meters
S. adversicola (K.H. Barnard, 1925)  South Africa, 564-4900 meters
S. cocula J.L. Barnard, 1966  California, 162 meters
S. dorotheae (Hurley, 1963)  unknown location
S. grabensis J.L. Barnard, 1967  Cedros Trench (Baja Calif), 1725 meters
S. pulchra (Hansen, 1888)  N.W. of Scotland, 650 m
S. robusta (J.L. Barnard, 1961) Tasman Sea, Cedros Trench (Baja Calif),
	1725-3580 m
S. rotundata (K.H. Barnard, 1926)  South Africa, 1200-4050 meters
S. totorami J.L. Barnard, 1967  Santa Monica Bay, California, 183 m
S. tracalero J.L. Barnard, 1966  Santa Monica Basin, California 167 m
S. zopa J.L. Barnard, 1966  Catalina Canyon, California 914 m

Any information that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scott France

Scott C. France              scf at christa.unh.edu
Department of Zoology        Phone: (603) 862-2104
University of New Hampshire  FAX:   (603) 862-3784
Biological Sciences Center, Rudman Hall
46 College Road
Durham, NH 03824-2617

http://tilapia.unh.edu/WWWPages/france.html