deepsea sampling apparatus

PCCI PCCI at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 9 10:02:52 EST 1998

Dear Deepsea,

I am looking for information on the kind of containers in which midwater
and deepsea ecologists capture and retrieve live organisms from depth.
Specifically, I'm searching for information on how the containers (tanks)
maintain the ambient temperature and pressure of depth while the retrieval
process is underway, and, how the tanks maintain these conditions while
shipboard or in the lab.  Also, what is the deepest-water fish species to
be collected and held alive for an extended period of time?

A direct reply would be great but feel free to just give references.
Thank you in advance for your reply,

Austin Ives
PCCI,
Marine and Environmental Engineering