Does anyone know ......

M. Lemstra lemstra at worldonline.nl
Mon Feb 23 04:23:23 EST 1998

Hi,

Actually, even at the most deepest point of the ocean there is life. This
point is called the Mariana depth and is located east off the phillipines,
close to the island of Guam. (Please look up for correct depth and name)
The deepest part is called the challenger depth and was discovered by the
Challenger expedition in 1951. A weight of one kilo takes an hour to sink
from the surface to the bottom. It4s close to 11 kilometers deep. There are
organisms here that depend on chemicals and heat generated by vulcanic
action. There are quite a number of different species there. All of them
are white (or red because the blood shows through the skin). There are
crustations, shellfish and spungelike animals. Many of these animals have
the ability to create light. Either they glow or pulse.

Over this closed of environment supported by vulcanic heat and chemicals
there is a portion almost 10 kilometers of water that is virtually
uninhabited.
richard.taylor at utas.edu.au schreef in artikel <6cjju6$2dn at net.bio.net>...

> Can any one help me please - my son is trying to find  answers  to the
> following questions:
>
> How deep in the ocean can living organisms exist?
>
> What organism holds the record for the deepest habitat?
>
> He's tried encyclopeadias, searched the net, but to no avail.

Magnus L. Johnson, Department of Biology, University of Leicester,
Leicester, LE1 7RH,  U.K.

see : http://www.le.ac.uk/biology/research/blpgs.html#magnus

email : mlj2 at le.ac.UK
Tel   : 0116 252 3353/2