Does anyone know ......

Alex Johnston rajoh3 at mail.wm.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:25:30 EST 1998

I know for a fact that the Lanternfish lives at depths exceeding 1000 m.
But as far as I know fish and other organisms live in the deepest parts of
the sea.  I really don't think there is any depth below which nothing can
live.  Especially sponges and things like that can live at unlimited
pressure because of their hydrostatic skeleton.  It is the vertebrates which
aren't well-suited for life that deepp underwater.  Sorry I can't be more
specific.

richard.taylor at utas.edu.au wrote in message <6cjju6$2dn at net.bio.net>...

>Can any one help me please - my son is trying to find  answers  to the
>following questions:
>
>How deep in the ocean can living organisms exist?
>
>What organism holds the record for the deepest habitat?
>
>He's tried encyclopeadias, searched the net, but to no avail.

Magnus L. Johnson, Department of Biology, University of Leicester,
Leicester, LE1 7RH,  U.K.

see : http://www.le.ac.uk/biology/research/blpgs.html#magnus

email : mlj2 at le.ac.UK
Tel   : 0116 252 3353/2