Deep-sea cables

Brigitte Hilbig FB7A070 at
Fri Jun 4 11:37:18 EST 1999

Dear colleagues,

A few days ago I got a call from a TV reporter who is doing a feature on
deep-sea cables, and one of the things he ran into was the destruction of
the rubber coating by some boring animals, which around 1930 led to the
replacement of the cables by new ones that are coated with some
synthetic material.  He thought the boring animal might be a "worm",
maybe even a polychaete.  Even though my strong suspicion is that this
may be a Teredo or something in that order, I would be very grateful if
any of you who have some insight on this could provide me with some

Thank you very much in advance!

Brigitte Hilbig
Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum
Martin Luther King-Platz 3
D20146 Hamburg
Tel. +40.42838.6558
Fax +40.42838.3937
email: fb7a070 at

Discuss   = annelida at      = talk to all members
Server    = biosci-server at = un/subscribes
Archives  =
Resources =