The Existence of the Meglodome Shark in the Oceans today.....

Matt P shark8matt at aol.comenbilulu
Wed Oct 6 03:35:15 EST 1999

If you are referring to Carcharodon MEGALODON then the possibility for its
existenceis extremely slim.  Since it is believed to be related to the modern
Great White Shark Carcharodon carcharias ( or Mako sharks as it has been also
suggested) then its behaviors should be somewhat similar.  The exception would
be that a predatore of 50 feet or so would prey on larger marine mammals than
seals - probably hunting whales.  However - if I were to suggest where to look
-I would say to head to the far North Seas (between Greenland and Iceland)
where whale populations are large.  If the morphology of Megalodon is similar
to carcharis then its semi-warm blooded thermal strategy may enable it to hunt
in the cold northern waters.  Additionally, this may have been one of the
causes for its extiction, as the problems of thermal regulation in a body of
such huge size may have been determined to be metabolically too strenuous a
design.  I too have read Ellis' book and heard the author give a lecture on the
book's matrial.  He does not believe that megalodon currently exists today.  He
does believe that the sea still holds mant fascinating discoveries - of which
some large sharks may be among them.  Unfortuneately - the possibility of
megalodon still existing is virtually impossible.  The size scale and level of
activity that this type of shark would express would make detection inevitable.

                                      - Matt Potenski
                                        Marine Science
                                        Rutgers University, NJ