Protecting Whale Sharks in the Sea of Cortez

Jim Morris jdtmorris at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 6 03:38:15 EST 1999

I just received the following email from Mike McGittigan who is the head of Seawatch
(http://www.seawatch.org):

 >From: "Mike McGettigan"
 >To: "James Morris" <jdtmorris at hotmail.com>
 >CC: "John Riffe",        "Carlos Eyles",        "Dr. Eugenie Clark",        "Enric Sala",
"Miguel Sanchez - Navarro Redo" ,        "Gary Duke"
 >Subject: Protection of the Whaleshark in the Sea Of Cortez.
 >Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:13:29 -0700

 >Dear Jim:

 >I was just in touch with Miguel Sanchez Navarro (mexdesco at compuserve.com)
 >who has been spearheading the drive to get Whalesharks and Mantas protected
 >in the Sea of Cortez. Sea Watch has sent over 3000 petitions from our
 >website and from Dema to the Mexican Government. He says that he is meeting
 >resistance from Pesca. They don't think it's a problem and feel that
 >protecting Whalesharks would have a negative effect on the catch of other
 >sharks??

 >Miguel said that he would like to get more scientific information as to the
 >importance of these sharks and any information about the killing and or
 >protecting of Whalesharks in other places in the world. I would think that
 >info showing the economic impact to the local communities from tourism would
 >be important. I saw a short segment on CNN a while back showing the positive
 >effect to tourism in Singapore? Did you see that or know where I can get a
 >copy. Can you use your contacts to help us gather data to support the
 >protection of the Whaleshark. It can be sent directly to Miguel at the above
 >E-mail address or to his mailing address below:
 >
 >Miguel Sanchez Navarro
 >Editorial Mexico Desconocido, S.A. de C.V.
 >Monte Pelvoux 110 Planta Jardin
 >Lomas De Chapultepec
 >Mexico, D.F.  C.P. 11000
 >
 >Also send copies to:
 >
 >mikem at seawatch.org and to our mailing address below
 >
 >Sea Watch
 >3939 N. Marine Drive #12
 >Portland, OR 97217
 >
 >Jim, Thanks for your help.

 Video from Seawatch will be seen in association with the upcoming "The Aquanauts" television
series(which is about diving and was shot at various venues around the world)that makes its debut on
Discovery's Animal Planet Channel in a few weeks (on September 27th at 7:30 PM and then repeating at
2:30 AM the next morning, but check your local television listing to confirm times):

 http://www.discovery.com/sched/domestic/series/91/2225.html

 The following is the Web link to shark finning article which appeared in the August issue of
"Discover Diving" magazine:

 http://www.westpacfisheries.net/genocide1.html