Something Big

Zvonka.Murko at guest.arnes.si Zvonka.Murko at guest.arnes.si
Thu Jan 13 08:16:00 EST 2000

As I am not an expert on the matter of sharks, my knowledge being only the
product of occasional flashes of curiosity and rare trips to the world of
Ichtiology as a student of veterinary medicine, I must first apologise for
posting this message. Again I have my curiosity to blame. Still this matter
is in context with your Meglodome (Megalodon?) discussion.
A few days ago a german television station (Kabel 1 on the 8th of January)
broadcasted a wildlife documentary about sharks. Although focusing on the
great white there was a few minute passage about deep sea sharks. In that
they also talked about the existence of the Megalodon leaning on the vague
exploration of certain parts of oceans and great depths. Now here comes my
question. At the end of this passage they showed part of a film (recorded
recently) where the scientists put some bait on a net on the ground (I think
it was very deep) to lure some deep sea sharks. First came some normal
specimens (I do not know which species) but then out of the dark swam an
enormous shark (a least 10 times bigger than the others). It was absolutely
breathtaking to see that gigantic mass cover the whole camera angle,
gobbling up everything that was on the net and dissappearing into the dark.
They said that it was a newly discovered species of shark, not mentioning
its scientific name. In german they named it Schlaff Hai meaning in english
Sleep or Sleeping Shark. I wonder if you have any knowledge about this
discovery and if you could give me some information and comments on this
matter (if possibly where could I obtain that underwater photage).
I think that in some way this (if its true) also leaves the question of the
existence of the Meglodome Shark a bit if not wide open.
I thank you in advance for any information and for the time you took to read
this message.

Rok Skutnik
Slovenia