Something Big

jekel5 at email.msn.com jekel5 at email.msn.com
Mon Jan 17 04:37:17 EST 2000

First, I want to apologize for jumping in on your conversation, but my
curiosity has gotten the best of me as well.

So.....I understand that most of my reasoning may be a pipe dream, but
knowing that Megalodon fossils have been found as far north as the
Chesapeake Bay, is it possible that this prehistoric giant would be capable
of surviving in today's oceans on larger fish such as the tuna.  Atlantic,
East Coast???

As well, what specifically do you mean by biologically rich environments.
What niche and environmental conditions do experts suggest would be
necessary for this shark to survive today?   I am not sufficiently familiar
with the thermal and geological changes of the ocean over the past 2 million
years (when the species was expected to have died off???), but is it even
possible environmentally that this shark live in current oceans.

Has there been a reason suggested for the extinction of the Megalodon.

And finally, where can I find information on the taxonomy of this species.
I understand that there is a long running debate as to where this species
fits, as a direct ancestor to the great white or more removed.

Thanks for the time, and thanks for providing such a great answer to the

Andrew McAllister
jekel5 at msn.com

---