maybe you could help

Ada at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk Ada at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 06:07:22 EST 2000

Hi,
My name is Ada Emeralda from Indonesia. I was wondering if you could help
me about a certain marine animal.
I read in my local newspaper that an animal was found but noone know what
kind of animal it is. Here is the translation of the news.

Carcass of a giant animal was found on Mentigi beach, 80 km south of
Tanjung Pandan, Belitung Island South Sumatra. Up until now the species of
the animal hasn't been determined. The animal is about 6 meters in  length,
weigh 3 tons, and has a pair of tusk with length 2.7 meters.

The animal was found dead on 20th May. The smell from the carcass was so
strong that it can be smelled from 500 meters away.

The founder assumed that the animal was already dead before washed  ashore.
But some of the local claimed to see the animal alive on 10th  May, about 2
kms from the beach.

The same kind of animal was found in 1964 but there was no publication.
---end of news----

Unfortunately that's the only information I can give you, no photograph, no
further interview, nothing. I'm not majoring in biology or marine biology,
but the news caught my attention. You see, there is no marine biology major
in any university in Indonesia so I assume I should ask someone who really
know this field.

If you couldn't help me, would you give me some names and emails of people
who I can ask help to? I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

ADA
--
DEEPSEA
Post to the group      = deepsea at net.bio.net