Web developments on cephalopods

Vecchione.Michael at NMNH.SI.EDU Vecchione.Michael at NMNH.SI.EDU
Wed Jul 11 03:37:07 EST 2001

We (the squid squad at the National Museum of Natural History, NMNH) are
pleased to announce a substantial upgrade to the cephalopod pages at the
NMNH web site.  Changes include: (1) a current classification of the Recent
Cephalopoda, (2) a comprehensive worldwide list of theses and dissertations
on cephalopods, (3) an interactive key to the families of decapod
cephalopods developed in collaboration with Dick Young and linked
extensively to the cephalopod pages of the Tree of Life web project -- this
key, developed by Jim Felley, is really slick and we invite you to test
drive it and send any comments, (4) a bibliography of published records of
giant squids, and (5) multimedia support for additional publications on
observations of deep-sea cephalopods, now including MPEG as well as AVI
format video clips (thanks to collaboration with the CephBase project,
http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu).  Many additional recent publications have
also been added to the cephalopod bibliography at the Smithsonian library
site, which you can access from the initial NMNH ceph page.

Furthermore, we (Dick Young, Katharina Mangold and I) invite you to take a
new look at the cephalopod pages of the Tree of Life (ToL). These pages have
also been expanded substantially, particularly the glossary. This project
undergoes almost continual improvement in collaboration with many cephalopod
researchers around the world, so visit often.

The URL address for the NMNH cephalopod pages has changed to
http://www.mnh.si.edu/cephs. If you have bookmarked the old address, it will
automatically bounce you to the new address, but you should change the
bookmark.  The address for the ToL cephalopod pages has also changed; as
with the NMNH address, if you go to the old URL it will automatically
forward you to the consolidated ToL site in Arizona, but please change your
bookmarks.  The correct address is
http://tolweb.org/tree/eukaryotes/animals/mollusca/cephalopoda/cephalopoda.h
tml

You may receive multiple copies of this announcement because I am posting it
to the following discussion groups: Ceph-list, FastMoll, Mollusca, and
Deep-sea.  Please feel free to forward it to other groups or individuals who
you feel may be interested but are not participants in those groups.

Mike Vecchione

Michael Vecchione
NMFS National Systematics Laboratory
National Museum of Natural History