mysterious Huge Rare Deep Sea Fish?

Scott C. France frances at cofc.edu
Mon Apr 7 08:12:18 EST 2003

My ichthyologist friend (Gorka Sancho) identified it as a wolffish,
and further investigation on FishBase suggests it may be Anarhichas
minor, the Spotted wolffish.  FishBase shows a depth range of 25 -
600 meters (but most common from 100-400 m) and the following
distribution:  "Spitsbergen southward to Scandinavian coasts (to
about Bergen, also Iceland and south-eastern coasts of Greenland.
Western Atlantic: western Greenland and Nova Scotia in Canada to
Massachusetts in USA and perhaps to New Jersey, USA."

See
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Anarhichas&speciesname=minor.

Scott France

Scott C. France       frances at cofc.edu
Grice Marine Laboratory
College of Charleston
205 Fort Johnson Road
Charleston, SC  29412

Office: (843) 953-9191    Lab: (843) 953-9192
FAX: (843) 953-9199
http://www.cofc.edu/~frances/

"To learn and from time to time to apply what one has learned - isn't
that a pleasure?"
- Confucius, 500 B.C.