CNN:Giant sea creature baffles Chilean scientists

No-one of note weallfloatdownhere at nowhere.com
Fri Jul 4 06:17:32 EST 2003

Giant sea creature baffles Chilean scientists

SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- Chilean scientists were baffled on Tuesday by
a huge, gelatinous sea creature found washed up on the southern Pacific
coast and were seeking international help identifying the mystery specimen.

The dead creature was mistaken for a beached whale when first reported
about a week ago, but experts who went to see it said the 40-foot-long (12-
meter) mass of decomposing lumpy grey flesh apparently was an invertebrate.

"We'd never before seen such a strange specimen, We don't know if it might
be a giant squid that is missing some of its parts or maybe it's a new
species," said Elsa Cabrera, a marine biologist and director of the Center
for Cetacean Conservation in Santiago.

Photographs showed a round leathery substance like a mammoth jelly fish,
about as long as a school bus.

-->more, including photograph at:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/americas/07/02/chile.science.reut/index.html

Any thoughts much appreciated.