Defining "Deep sea"

Brad Buran bburan at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 2 10:23:50 EST 2004

Dear colleagues,

I am currently preparing a manuscript that examines the structure of the
inner ears in several deep-sea species.  In the introduction, I am
attempting to define, or at least describe, what the deep sea is (as
contrasted with shallower waters). Since this manuscript is for a
general morphology journal rather than an oceanography journal, I feel
that it is essential to give the readers some background on the deep
sea.

Older books appear to define the deep sea as anything below 1,000 m
beneath the surface.  However, at several recent conferences I have been
at, people appear to refer to shallower depths (such as 250 m) as the
deep sea.  Is anyone aware of a standard definition or a conventional
description that is used by deep sea researchers?

Thank you for your time,
Bradley Buran

---