Defining "Deep sea"

Peter Herring pjhe at soc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 10 07:41:20 EST 2004

For my book The Biology of the Deep Ocean (OUP) I took  "deep ocean" to
refer to any bit of the ocean where the bottom depth was greater than 200m.
Thus it included everything from the surface to the sea floor except over
the continental shelves. This is very convenient for descriptive and
discussion purposes and makes particular sense when dealing with the
pelagic fauna, many of which come and go to and from the upper 200m.

I don't believe there is a "standard" definition, and I don't think any
reader will quibble with whatever view you take, as long as it is not too
precise!

Best regards,

Peter Herring