Statement of concern for deepsea conservation

wolfhedd wolfpak at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 07:55:09 EST 2004

A purposal comes to mind,

Dr. Gaten and concerned, would you or any of your colleagues be interested
in starting a database of acquired knowledge and incorporating this into a
site specifically designed to be a resource of valuable information for use
by mariners and deep sea fishing operations out to sea currently in action
harvesting and maming our precious limited fragile species endangered
resources. The target goal of the site would be to minimize impact on any
given area, areas that may be being overfished, overharvested, or
overstressed presently, and to persuade and enlighten mariners to other
productive sites in the areas, or to persuade concerned mariners and
fishermen to do their activities in other areas and offer them the resources
of other areas of productivity in order of priority  of endangerment of
health versus healthy productive areas, in order to get the upperhand on the
ecosystems overall health.  A site where they could have instant valuable
data at their fingertips, but the data has a goal to save the areas, this
data of a precious dedicated kind.

I have web experience, and use dreamweaver for html, but have not much .xml
data base experience, however i can offer mytime and a limited amount of web
space for storage to get things rolling. There would be a need for a
database operator and possible more ftp storage space facility .  I wouldnt
even require upload acess, I could upload directly to my ftp space, and
allow them download/upload acess to my unlimited ftp space.  I have
experience in zoology and field biology, chemistry and environmental
science, major in field biology research for data gathering for the
betterment of earths overall health of fragile and diverse ecosystems, rare
micro-ecosystems, and threatened and dying ecosystems equally.

Anyone interested please contact regarding this non-profit venture purposal.
sincerely,
Mar

"Gaten, Dr E." <gat at leicester.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:0F0BFB9DA110794CA64C94D36F6BF5A33EE94F at sumac.cfs.le.ac.uk...
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have added an announcement to the Deepsea website
http://www.le.ac.uk/biology/gat/deepsea/deepsea.html concerning the
"Statement of Concern to the United Nations General Assembly regarding the
risks to seamounts, cold-water corals and other vulnerable ecosystems of the
deep-sea". This was proposed by Hjalmar Thiel at the 10th Deep-Sea Biology
Symposium held in Coos Bay Oregon. Both the original statement and an
article written for the forthcoming Deep-Sea Newsletter are linked to the
webpage.

> I would urge all of you who are concerned about the need for conservation
of deep-sea habitats to read the article and, if you agree, to contact
Hjalmar Thiel to add your endorsement to this statement as soon as possible.
Please circulate this message to your fellow scientists who might be
interested.