Deep Sea Largest Creature IMAX?

Craig McClain mcclainc at unm.edu
Tue Apr 12 03:32:19 EST 2005

The creature you saw was a Siphonophore.  It is a colonial organism
made of a number of individuals, similar to the Portugese Man-O-War.
What you probably saw, although I have not seen the movie, is Praya
sp., or the 'Giant Siphonophore'.  In a recent conversation with Bruce
Robinson at MBARI, he suggested they can reach in excess of 40m.
-Craig

On Apr 4, 2005, at 5:22 AM, gmark at svs.com wrote:

> I recently saw an IMAX film about life in the deep sea, and
> it mentioned a creature (or cluster of creatures or something)
> that was the size of a football field. It was very, very deep, and
> some sort of collaborative collection of other creatures. It was
> called something like "cyphono-form" or  "siphonaform" ro
> something.
>
> Anyone recall?
>
> GMS

Craig R. McClain, Ph.D.