sample collection

Douglas Rhoads DRHOADS at MERCURY.UARK.EDU
Tue Apr 4 16:36:13 EST 1995

I would like to poll the this newsgroup as to what methods others
might recommend for sample collection.  We need to collect microliter
amounts of blood for PCR analysis.  Unfortunately, the samples should
be most easily collected by untrained animal handlers.  We have
looked into cap tubes and the micro-vacutainer type collection tubes
but all of these require using a lancet and then collection from skin
surfaces.  It would be really nice if there was a vacutainer/needle
system that collects only 10-100 microliters but those systems start
at around 2 ml.  Since we are using PCR we are very concerned that
with surface collection there can be cross-contamination from
handlers hands and from dander on the skin surface.  We also don't
want to have to design something.

Does anyone have any suggestions where we might look??

||Doug Rhoads              || Dept. of Biological Sciences||
||drhoads at mercury.uark.edu || 601 Science Engineering     ||
||drhoads at uafsysb.uark.edu || University of Arkansas      ||
||501-575-3251             || Fayetteville, AR 72701      ||