PCR-related techniques for detecting food born pathogens.

M.C. Diana Sara Leal Klevezas dsleal at ACADEM01.MTY.ITESM.MX
Wed Apr 5 10:08:39 EST 1995

On 3 Apr 1995 DEBOER at pargva.agr.ca wrote:

> Dear netters,
>
> A friend of mine is thinking of a project on application of PCR-
> related techniques for detecting food borne pathogens in milk and
> eggs. Despite the possible PCR-inhibitory substances in the DNA
> extracts from raw samples, DNA from dead cells may give false
> positive results. How can we solve this problem?
>
> Is there any related references? Any suggestion will be
> appreciated.
>
> Xiang Li
>
> Agriculture Canada
> Vancouver Research Station.

Dr. Griffits, at the Food science department at the U. of Guelph,
Ontario, Canada is working with Salmonella-contaminated eggs is a
neat way. He constructed a Salmonella phage carrying and expressing a
Luciferase gene, which is then injected into the eggs.If they glow,means
that Salmonella is present and alive since it allows the expression of
the selectable marker. I understand it's working nicely. The U of Guelph's
phone number is (595) 8244120 (check the area code, I'm not possitive),
the fellow's name is Mansell (or sounds like it) Griffits.
For the milk problem we are writting a project about the detection of
Brucella on milk samples. We have developed the protocol for the DNA
extraction and PCR which is working quite fine. We have wondered if after
pasteurization or other kind of processing there will be death bacteria to
keep the test appearing possitive. Please, get your friend to contact us
to share our ideas with him/her.
Best Regards form Sunny Mexico

Diana Sara Leal Klevezas
Centro de Investigacion Biomedica del Noreste
Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
San Luis Potosi y 2 de abril, Col. Independencia
Monterrey, N.L. tel and fax. (52) 344 4116