Reference laboratories

Jack H. Pincus jhpincus at
Wed Apr 19 17:56:35 EST 1995

In article <9504190113.AA04997 at>, ingen at RT66.COM says...
>Hellow netters,
>I have a dumb question.  Could somebody explain what is a "reference"
>laboratory?   I did not pay any attention to this particular term.
>Does a reference laboratory require certification by state or federal
>government?  I am curious.
>In C. Kim, Ph.D.

The term is something of a misnomer.  Reference laboratories perform
tests that are not routinely done in clinical laboaratories.  Tests
performed by reference laboratories are sometimes more complicated than
routine clincal laboartory assays, or those for which there is not enough

In the U.S. states regualte clinical laboratories.  Most, if not all,
require some sort of licensure or certification.  Reference laboratories
are no exception.

Jack H. Pincus
jhpincus at