conjugate stability

Martin Blankfard Mblank at
Mon Aug 7 10:23:36 EST 1995

In article <9507028073.AA807368724 at>,
   Mail-9DE~SMTP at MAIL.FWS.GOV wrote:
>User coler is not defined
>To: diagnost at
>From: burns at (Robert Burns)
>Subject: storage of conjugates
>Date: 2 Aug 1995 04:29:45 -0700
>Sender: daemon at
><MAPI.Id.0016.0075726e732020203632353330303030 at>
>We routinely make monoclonal AP conjugates by thiolation of the
>antibody followed by reaction with activated AP. We find that thge
>storage conditions for each conjugate is dependent on the Mab used.
>Some conjugates store well at 4C, some don't. All of them store well
>at -20C. We have also been looking at a Pierce product called
>superfreeze which allows liquid storage of conjugates at -20C which
>should increase longevity. We find that some conjugates store better
>with it and some without. BTW in some cases conjugates stored with
>superfreeze had decreased activity compared to aliquots of the same
>batch stored at 4C without it!
>I think with Mab conjugates it all depends on the parent antibody.
>Anybody else got any conjugate stories?
>Robert Burns
>Monoclonal Antibody Unit
>Scottish Agricultural Science Agency
>East Craigs
>burns at

Most conjugates can be made stable at 4C with 50% Glycerol in Picopure water.
This works for both poly and monoclonal conjugates with a variety of enzymes
as long as the protein concentration is at or above 1mg/ml.  Another
reasonable stabilizer is 1% fish gelatin.  Fat oxidation and free radicals can
be important when obtaining fish gelatin.

Martin Blankfard
Senior Scientist
Kirkegaard and Perry Laboratories
2 Cessna Ct.