viability staining

Tue Aug 22 07:07:26 EST 1995

Hello Netters,
I work with the chytridiomycete Synchytrium endobioticum.
The overwintering body is a resting spore.  This is an
obligate (to potato) fungus and reproduces in potato
tissue cells.  It does not produce a mycelium.  It is
difficult to tell from light microscopy if the spore
is viable or not.  Population viability can be estimated
somewhat in bioassay with potatoes, but I need a method
to identify single spore viability.  I have tried many
flurochromes - settling on acriflavin - but it is not
a surefire system.  There is not much that I can find in
the literature to help me.  Are there some new products
out there that I can try?  Any suggestion will be much
appreciated. Thanks. Mike Hampson (hampsonm at