postdoc

MCCLELLAND at LIFSCI.SDSU.EDU MCCLELLAND at LIFSCI.SDSU.EDU
Mon May 22 15:13:33 EST 1995

PLEASE POST			Postdoctoral Fellowship
				Salmonella genome

May 22nd 1995

Dear colleague,

	The primary postdoc on our Salmonella project has been
offered his own laboratory at DOE/WSU. I am thus looking for someone to
take over his position as soon as possible. If you know someone who might
be interested I would be grateful if you could direct that person to me by
e-mail to McClelland at lifsci.sdsu.edu or by FAX to 619 535 5472.

	The first step of this project is well advanced with 95% of the
genome covered by an order and overlapping set of lambda clones.
Approximately, 20% of these have been restriction mapped. We have
delineated in these clones many of the known loops that distinguish
Salmonella from E. coli.

	The most interesting part of the project is just starting in which we
delineate the role of some of these lifestyle-specific regions. The next
stage of the project will also involve the use of RNA fingerprinting by
arbitiarily primed PCR in identify coordinately regulated genes in point
mutations and large deletions in these regions (Wong K.K. and McClelland
M. 1994. A stress-induced gene from Salmonella typhimurium identified by
arbitrarily primed PCR of RNA (RAP). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 91:639-
643; McClelland et al., Trends in Genetics, June 1995). Se also Wong K.K.
and McClelland M. 1994. High-resolution restriction map for a 240-
kilobase region spanning 91- to 96 minutes on the Salmonella
typhimurium LT2 genome. J. Bacteriol. 176: 5729-5734.

	I am seeking someone with leadership and organizational skills who
will coordinate with our collaborator Ken Sanderson and will direct a
technician on the project. I would greatly appreicate your help in locating
such an individual.

Michael McClelland
Director,
Cal. Inst. Biol. Research