Urgent: Unknown Neurological condition

Carel Grove cgrove at lia.co.za
Fri Oct 13 14:13:59 EST 1995

I would not normally post something like this but
I decided to do it because this is extremely urgent.

About an hour ago I was informed about the following
situation regarding a friend's daughter.

I will only summarize:

(She is eight years old and has a family history with
Tourette Syndrome).

She was playing hockey when she developed acute
headache followed by vomiting.

This happened very suddenly.

She did not get injured physically at all. In other
words the headache was not a result of her getting
hit on her head or anything like that.

She was at first treated for encephalitis with no
result.

Blood was found in her spinal fluid.

X-Rays pointed to a brain tumour in the cerebellum
but upon operating no tumour was found, a large blood
clot was found instead. (in the cerebellum)

She regained consciousness the following day (Monday).

Tuesday afternoon she had a series of convulsions
(epileptic seizures). After that, a rapid decent
into coma.

She now has respiratory failure as well as liver failure.

Blood platelets so low there is blood seeping out
of her mouth and nose.

She still has a large amount of Phenobarb in her system,
so tests can only be done in 48 hours.

She is treated in one of the top clinics in South Africa,
but no one seems to know what on earth is happening
to her.

If anybody knows or has any experience whatsoever
with a condition like this, will you please get in contact
with me as soon as possible. Any information will be
appreciated very very much

If possible, please forward this to anyone who might know
about this condition.

Carel Grove
--
Tel: +27 12 667-2291