discussion points

David Cooke MBDC2 at SCRI.SARI.AC.UK
Wed Oct 18 09:10:12 EST 1995

Dear diagnost net

While I was maybe a little flippant about the request for information
about about Minoxidil and I do recognise that this type of discussion
group is supposed to be broad I do think it is worth taking a look at the
Charter (I think this is the current version Kevin?).

There has been little discussion of any diagnostic import recently so
maybe I could repeat a plea I put out about a year ago.  Has anyone
seen a piece of software for selecting PCR primers other than all the
current ones select a pair of primers for a single length of
sequence data.  What I need is someting to analyse ribosomal
sequences from several species of pathogenic fungi and select the
best primer for specific amplification of species X and no other
species.  I am sure there is a great market for such a piece of
software (if there are any budding programmers out there).

Also is there any more news about the EU patent challenge from
promega regarding Taq polymerase?

The charter follows.
<<<
PROPOSAL FOR DIAGNOSTICS NEWSGROUP

The Diagnostics newsgroup is a forum for discussion of problems and techniques
(primarily serological or nucleic acid-based)  involved in all fields of diagnostics.
Subjects for discussion and comment include  methodology, automation, quality
assurance and other subjects of interest and concern to those developing and/or using
diagnostic tests

JUSTIFICATION

Despite the large number of scientists involved in diagnostics, there is no newsgroup
devoted to this subject.  The prototype Diagnostics newsgroup was set up to fill this gap
and has gained enough support to justify a vote for full newsgroup status.  The
prototype newsgroup has included postings on the detection and identification of
diseases, pathogens (animal and plant) and also diagnostic functions which do not fit
into either category.   This composition has helped to establish common ground (and
therefore intellectual and methodological cross-fertilization) between people and
laboratories.  For example, The problems facing scientists developing PCR assays for
Listeria are similar to those facing scientists developing PCR assays for bacterial soft
rots in plants.

Within the various disciplines there are common problems regarding methods,
immunogens, cross-reactivity, automation, materials, quality assurance and other issues
that are not recognized by those using similar techniques for other purposes.

The Diagnostics newsgroup will address and help solve these problems by providing a
forum for their discussion between individuals of various experience and disciplines.

Kevin O'Donnell
Diagnostics and Molecular Biology
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency
Edinburgh                         		odonnell at sasa.gov.uk