EEG Equipment Sources?

P. Seaba pseaba at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 26 13:39:03 EST 1995

By "live", I take it you mean human?  Go to the Medical Device Register
and find out who's registered with the FDA.

Find a device that looks too good to be true!?  Ask them if they've filed
an intent to market, 510(k).  Better yet, call the FDA (check gov't.
section of your local telephone book) and ask if the company has a 510(k)
number for the device.

Then ask if it's been tested to UL544; the 2500 vac isolation barrier and
4000 vac withstand tests usually weed out the tinkerers.

In spite of what the salesperson tells you, battery operated or optically
isolated devices are not inherently safe.  They still have to pass the
same tests for human use.

Make sure you inform your legal counsel in advance if you choose to
utilize "bargain" devices.

Pete Seaba
U. of Iowa