DNA fingerprinting of TB

Udo Reischl Udo.Reischl at klinik.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Sep 6 06:09:01 EST 1995

>To all that can help,
>I am looking for information that can be sent to be on utilizing
>PCR DNA finger printing to compare strains of TB and determine where
>specific srains came from.  All the information that can be sent will be
>appreciated elementry and advanced material is what  i require.
>thanks to all those that can help
>Hal

Dear Hal,

Next to routine TB diagnosis (microscopy, BACTEC and other conventional
culture/biochemical typing procedures, PCR, NASBA) we are currently
evaluating a number of RFLP protocols for epidemiological purposes.

Here are some of the corresponding publications and principles:

(van Embden et al., J. Clin. Microbiol. 31, 406-409, 1993): PvuII cleavage of
genomic DNA and subsequent hybridization with an IS 6110 specific probe.

(Ross and Dywer, J. Clin. Microbiol. 31, 329-334, 1993): Amplification of
DNA between clusters of IS6110 on the genome.

(Friedman et al., J. Clin. Microbiol. 33, 1383-1384, 1995): Amplification of
DNA between polymorphic GC-rich repetitive sequences and IS6110 elements.

However, this advanced protocol is our favourite:
(W. Haas et al., Mixed-linker polymerase chain reaction..., J. Clin. Microbiol. 31,
1293-1298, 1993): PvuII cleavage of traces of genomic DNA and subsequent
amplification of IS6110 containing fragments.
Upon request I will send you more detailed information on the advantages/
disadvantages associated with the individual strategies.

All the best,
Udo.

Udo Reischl, Ph.D.
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene
at the University of Regensburg
Franz-Josef-Strauss Allee 11
D-93053 Regensburg
Phone: ++49-941-944-6451