Bluetongue Diagnostics

William C. Wilson WCWilson at uwyo.edu
Fri Apr 19 08:20:45 EST 1996

Several labs including mine have published procedures for detection of
bluetongue and the related epizootic hemorrhagic disease viruses.  Attached
is a partial listing of available references concerning BTV PCR.  There are
also several published protocols for detection of African horse sickness
that I didn't include for the sake of space.

Reference List

          1.        Akita, G. Y.; Chinsangaram, J.; Osburn, B. I.;
Ianconescu, M., and Kaufman, R. Detection of bluetongue virus serogroup by
polymerase chain reaction. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 1992; 4:400-405.
     2.        Akita, G. Y.; Glenn, J.; Castro, A. E., and Osburn, B. I.
Detection of bluetongue virus in clinical samples by polymerase chain
reaction. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 1993; 5:154-158.
     3.   Aradaib, I. E. Akita G. Y. Osburn B. I. Detection of epizootic
hemorrhagic disease virus serotypes 1 and 2 in cell culture and clinical
samples using polymerase chain reaction. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 1994;
6:143-147.
     4.   Aradaib, I. E.; Wilson, W. C.; Cheney, I. W., and Osburn, B. I.
Application of PCR for specific-identification of epizootic hemorrhagic
disease virus serotype 2. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 1995; 7:388-392.
     5.   Aradaib, I. E.; Wilson, W. C.; Cheney, I. W.; Pearson, J. E., and
Osburn, B. I. Application of PCR for specific identification of epizootic
hemorrhagic disease virus serotype 2. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic
Investigation. 1995 Jul; 7(3):388-392.
     6.   Dangler, C. A.; de Mattos, C. A.; de Mattos, C. C., and Osburn, B.
I. Identifying bluetongue virus ribonucleic acid sequences by the polymerase
chain reaction. J. Virol. Meth. 1990; 28:281-292.
     7.   Katz, J. B.; Alstad, A. D.; Gustafson, G. A., and Moser, K. M.
Sensitive identification of bluetongue virus serogroup by a colorimetric
dual oligonucleotide sorbent assay of amplified viral nucleic acid. J. Clin.
Microbiol. 1993; 31(11):3028-3030.
     8.   Katz, J. B.; Gustafson, G. A.; Alstad, A. D.; Adler, K. A., and
Moser, K. M. Colorimetric Diagnosis of Prolonged Bluetongue Viremia in
Sheep, Using an Enzyme-Linked Oligonucleotide Sorbent Assay of Amplified
Viral Nucleic Acids. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 1993; 54(12):2021-2026.
     9.   ---. Colorimetric diagnosis of prolonged bluetongue viremia using
an enzyme-linked oligonucleotide sorbent assay of amplified viral nucleic
acids. J. Vet. Diag. Invest. 1993(In Press).
     10.  Maclachlan, N. J.; Nunamaker, R. A.; Katz, J. B.; Sawyer, M. M.;
Akita, G. Y.; Osburn, B. I., and Tabachnick, W. J. Detection of bluetongue
virus in the blood of inoculated calves: Comparison of virus isolation, PCR
assay, and in vitro feeding of Culicoides variipennis. Arch. Virol. 1994;
136(1-2):1-8.
     11.  McColl, KA and Gould, AR. Detection and characterisation of
bluetongue virus using the polymerase chain reaction. Virus Res. 1991;
21(1):19-34.
     12.  Mecham, J. O. Wilson W. C. Strategies for improved bluetongue
diagnostic strategies for improved bluetongue diagnostics. Proc. U.S. Anim.
Health Assoc. 1994; 98:43-50.
     13.  Wade-Evans A.M.; Mertens, PP, and Bostock, CJ. Development of the
polymerase chain reaction for the detection of bluetongue virus in tissue
samples. J. Virol. Methods. 1990; 30(1):15-24.
     14.  Wechsler, SJ; Austin, KJ, and Wilson, WC. Limits of detection of
bluetongue virus with different assay systems. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 1990;
2(2):103-6.
     15.  Wilson, W. C. Development of nested-PCR tests based on sequence
analysis of epizootic hemorrhagic disease viruses non-structural protein 1
(NS1). Virus Res. 1994; 31:357-365.
     16.  Wilson, W. C. and Chase, C. C. L. Nested and Multiplex Polymerase
Chain Reactions for the Identification of Bluetongue Virus Infection in the
Biting Midge, Culicoides-variipennis. J. Virol. Meth. 1993; 45(1):39-47.

Hope this is helpful.

  William C. Wilson
  USDA-ARS
  Arthropod-borne Animal Diseases Research Lab.
  Laramie, WY  82071-3965

  Phone :     (307)766-3622
  Fax:            (307)766-3500
  E-Mail:      wcwilson at uwyo.edu