Research Position Available

David Coufal dcoufal at mit.edu
Thu Aug 15 03:32:34 EST 1996

[Posted for Leonard Lerman. Please reply to him and not to the poster]

7/29/96
Research position available:

Our research is directed toward efficient detection of mutations in
human genes and rapid discrimination among related but differing DNA
molecules. We will apply principles of the thermodynamics of the helix-coil
transition to provide sensitive detection of sequence differences. Our
approach is novel, not closely related to any existing methods. The
project requires work in DNA chemistry, optics, and instrumentation.

Chemical problems concern means for covalent coupling of double-stranded
DNA to glass (or silica) surfaces at one end of the molecule. Optical and
instrumental efforts are concerned with sensitive, low-noise detection of
fluorescence of small samples as a function of temperature. We will wish to
extend the system to simultaneous scrutiny of many samples by laser scanning
or CCD imaging. Computational work is needed for sample design according to
thermodynamic theory and for data analysis.

When these technical challenges are met, we will apply the system to
examination of a gene essential for the production of human spermatozoa
among a large number of infertile males; this part of the project is in
collaboration with David Page of the Whitehead Institute. The development

is also expected to offer interesting possibilities in the study of DNA
melting, its dependence on sequence, the relation to the ionic environment,
and the effects of other ligands.

The candidate should have related experience and an MS, PhD, or the equivalent.

Funding is available from September 1, 1996.

Interested persons can call, visit, or correspond by e-mail.

Leonard Lerman, Department of Biology
Building 68, Room 630
telephone: 3-6658
lerman at fang.mit.edu