Your Proposal for International Policy For Maternal Testing

Steve Firth filter at firthcom.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 18:04:45 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960212105159.125110A-100000 at itsa.ucsf.edu>,
bgold at ITSA.UCSF.EDU (Bert Gold) wrote:

>YES.  I strongly support the universal offer of such prenatal testing.
>And with the help of the international genetics community, I am prepared
>to defend my views before any person or body, no matter how august.

You may be interested to know that in 1994 I edited a monograph on the
subject of prenatal screening for Down's syndrome. The monograph was
published by Abbott Diagnostics and I believe that it is available FOC to
interested parties. A number of papers were given by experienced European
clinicians and laboratory scientists and the balance of opinion was in
favour of application of pre-natal screening for women under the age of 40.

Stephen Firth, Firth Consulting, UK.