R. Scott Jokerst scott_jokerst at
Mon Jan 29 19:19:51 EST 1996

Hi Isla,

Generally old news, though I haven't read anything on the topic recently.
What I do know is that phenylalanine is one of two amino acid components of
aspartame.  If you're phenylketonuric, you shouldn't ingest the stuff.
This rare condition is generally diagnosed at birth.  Issue would be for
children in utero, possibly, who may have the condition, but whose parents
are unaware it.  Pregnant mothers thus would do best to shy away from the

It's a start, but I do not claim comprehensive knowledge on the topic.

At 10:14 AM 1/29/96, Isla Browning wrote:
>I recently read in a newspaper that aspartame, the low calorie
>sweetener, has been found to produce neurological disorders. Does
>anyone know anything about this?

  ---> R. Scott Jokerst            scott_jokerst at  --->
--->   Biological Data Transport       --->
 --->  510-648-8229                510-648-8279 (FAX)               --->