Conjugate/Block Buffers

David Crisp davecr at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 31 23:46:57 EST 1996

In article <199601311335.NAA25876 at caird.scri.sari.ac.uk>,
djones at SCRI.SARI.AC.UK (D Jones) wrote:

> > >I'm presently doing some comparisons between different buffers to
> > dilute
> > >my labelled antibody in, for use in ELISA.

<Lots of snipping>

> I think that maybe I have misled people a bit with my first message.
> Which after reading it again probably isn't all that clear. What I am
> after is are buffers that will increase the signal : noise ratio in the
> actual ELISA.

<Another snip>

First of all, I'd switch to an amino-alcohol type buffer (Tris etc.).  The
substrate inhibition from phosphate lingers a bit in my hands (even after
the wash step).  Boosting the polymers such as PVP and PEG also work well
for me as does using the higher molecular weights of these compounds.
Watch out for increased background, though.  Boosting the ionic strength
can counter the increased background from the polymers (partially anyway).

Hope this helps.

--
David Crisp