What is this optical component made of??

strahan at PICASSO.UCSF.EDU strahan at PICASSO.UCSF.EDU
Mon Jul 22 14:21:38 EST 1996

Its easy to tell the difference betweent these substances:

Plastic is lightweight, easily scratched, and susceptible to solvent and
heat damage.... hence it is highly unlikely that it is made of plastic.
Also, plastic only transmits light with wavelengths longer than maybe 500nm.
(I've never heard of *serious* optics, like what you describe, being
made of plastic... they would need lots of special coatings, and become
almost as expensive as the better substances.

Glass will transmit shorterwavelenghts of light, but it cuts-off around
-400nm, depending on the quality of glass.

Quartz cuts off around 210nm, unless it is a Suprasil-type quartz, which
is somewhat more expensive but can get down to about 175nm.... by this
point, however, the water and oxygen in the atmosphere will be absorbing
more than the optics.... so purging with N2 gas is necessary.....

And for completeness:
for shorter wavelengths, you would probably need CaCl2 or MgCl2 crystals....
these can go down to ~120nm, but they are extremely expensive and fagile.

My guess is that your optics are made of a cheap quartz or better quality
glass (the distinction is only one of amounts of impurity), as are most
optical devices.  My reasoning is this: Even though fiberglass can only
transmit longer wavelengths, the kind of optics you are describing are
worthy of reasonable quality to ensure complete transmition, durability
and accurate optical properities.

You can test all this with a simple UV-Vis Absorbance spectrometer, or
in honor of Archimedes you could even measure the relative density/specific
gravity.(I'm sure the CRC Handbook has densities for glass/quartz).

More info than you needed, and probably someone else has the actual
specs on the machine.... but what the heck!

Gary

Gary D. Strahan, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University ov California, San Francisco