(Fwd) Re: Commercial PP Molecular Diagnostics

Kevin O'Donnell odonnell at sasa.gov.uk
Thu Jun 6 03:40:01 EST 1996

On  4 Jun 96 at 9:18, Solke Deboer wrote:

> It was suggested by Kevin that PCR is routinely
> used in the EC (EU) for testing for Psol (brown
> rot) and Cms (ring rot) in potato.  Although I am
> aware that PCR methodologies exist for both these
> bacterial pathogens, I do not believe that they have
> been implemented for routine use.  They have only
> been used experimentally to confirm diagnoses
> based on serological tests, as far as I know.
> Perhaps we could hear from the labs that are
> actually using PCR for these pathogens.
>    Thanks,  Solke

The two are not mutually incompatible - it depends on what is  meant
 by 'routine' Solke:-)  In the case of my own bacteriology
laboratory, the  PCR test for Brown Rot is used on all samples deemed to be
 high risk.  Of course as well as being routine, this is also experimental
 because it  does not yet have the status of a statutory test required by the EC.
That may change.

The point is though,  that these assays are now being used to
generate results of practical use rather than just to provide material
for publications.

I too would be interested in hearing from other laboratories.

Kevin
Dr Kevin O'Donnell                          "I'm happy, I'm happy
Diagnostics and Molecular Biology    and I'll punch the man that says I'm not"
SASA                                                   - Ivor Cutler
Edinburgh