TMB liquid substrates for ELISAs

MHughes77 at MHughes77 at
Mon Mar 4 14:15:21 EST 1996

Dear Diagnostics Newgroup Members:

A question was recently posted regarding alternate sources for two-part TMB
liquid substrates for ELISAs using HRP conjugates.  After enjoying the
convenience and reliability of one-part TMB substrates for a few years, I am
curious as to why anyone would stick to using two-part substrates.  Have any
of you found any differences in sensitivity or linearity between the two
types of TMB?  I know that some brands of one-part substrates may suffer from
a fairly short shelf life, but I have used two brands that last for over a
year under refrigeration, one of which also lasts at least six months without
refrigeration.  The latter comes two forms, to produce either a soluble
product or a precipitate, both of which work equally well.

Mark Hughes
MHughes77 at