BSPP Presidential Conference, Canterbury, UK December 1996

Peter Scott(Dir Info Inst) P.SCOTT at
Fri Oct 4 07:19:14 EST 1996

 To:              Kevin O'Donnell <odonnell at>

I'm preparing my Presidential Address for the British Society for Plant
Pathology's December Conference in Canterbury, and I'd be glad of ideas from
a wide range of people.

SUPPORT OF PLANT PATHOLOGY". My plan was to range over the following topics,
with some demonstrations. (For amplification of the topics, see the papers
that have been invited under these or similar headings at

1.   Handling facts to produce information -
Handling the information explosion in plant pathology. Data management:
bibliographic; nomenclatural; molecular; etc.

2.   Interpreting information to produce knowledge -
Taxonomic Information Systems; Geographic Information Systems; Multimedia;

3.   Using knowledge to support decision making -
Modelling epidemics; Diagnostic tools; Expert Systems for disease
management; etc.

4.   Using knowledge to make predictions -
Epidemic forecasting; Risk analysis

5.   Passing on knowledge in education and training -
New media; Interactive training; Distance learning; etc.

6.   Storing and disseminating information -
Intranets, the Internet, World Wide Web; Electronic publishing; MPPOL (see ; Opportunities for developing countries.

In any of these areas, or any others, PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS WITH ME AND
OTHERS by e-mailing to bspplist at Include some or all of this
message in your e-mail if it helps. The new technology gives us a remarkable
opportunity to start the Conference well ahead of time, and to hit the
ground running when we get to Canterbury (16-19 December)!

If you want to share in this ongoing e-mail discussion and you haven't yet
joined the BSPPLIST Discussion Group, there's one simple job to do first.
Send an e-mail containing only the word SUBSCRIBE (don't include a subject
heading) to bspplist-REQUEST at Then you will automatically
receive other people's messages sent to bspplist at

If later you want to leave the discussion, send an e-mail containing only
the word UNSUBSCRIBE (don't include a subject heading) to
bspplist-REQUEST at

Some of the recipients of this message are responsible for other Internet
Discussion Groups or Web sites. Please feel free to post this message or
information about the Conference as you think fit.

Please distribute information about the Conference as widely as you like.
Everyone is welcome. Please book early to be sure!

Peter Scott
Director, Information Institute, CAB INTERNATIONAL, Wallingford OX10 8DE, UK
Tel: +44 1491 832111.    Fax: +44 1491 833508

President, British Society for Plant Pathology

Work: p.scott at
Home: peter at

Information Technology in Plant Pathology and Systematics
BSPP/SA Meeting, University of Kent, 16-19 December 1996