clubroot confirmation

Rob Harling r.harling at
Tue Jun 17 10:37:20 EST 1997

On 17 Jun 97 at 5:58, M. L . Putnam wrote:

> To:            nobody at
> Date:          Tue, 17 Jun 1997 05:58:47 -0700
> From:          "M. L . Putnam" <putnamm at>
> Subject:       clubroot confirmation

> I believe this may have come up once already but will risk repeating an inquiry:
> Does anyone have a serological assay for Plasmodiophora brassicae?  Or some
> other means of confirming infection in asymptomatic plants?  I can see the
> plasmodia in roots with no symptoms and would like some other means of
> confirming the diagnosis without having to wait for clubs to form.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> M.L. Putnam
> Extension Plant Pathology
> Oregon State University

If your plants originate from field soil, the plasmodia present in the
roots may equally be those of Olpidium sp - this is a common soil fungus
(or rather soil Protist - I guess the Plasmodiophoromycetes are no longer
considered to be fungi).

Immunofluorescence detection methods do exist:
1.  Arie T et al 1988.  Annals of the Phytopathological Soc of Japan 54,
242 - 245.

2.  Wakeham, AJ and White, JG 1996. Physiological and Molecular Plant
Pathology 48, pages ? - ?  You might like to ask the author of this paper
about obtaining antibodies:  Geoff White, at Horticulture Research
International, Wellesbourne, Warwick CV35 9EF, UK.

Good luck with this recalcitrant beast,
Rob Harling

Dr Rob Harling
SAC (Scottish Agricultural College)/