RNA Probes

Kevin Bown kevin.bown at camr.org.uk
Thu Jul 2 03:33:32 EST 1998

Howie Rose wrote:
> Has anybody had experience of using RNA probes
>for the detection of pathogenic bacteria without an amplification
>system? As there are many copies of RNA floating around a cell, I
>would have thought that a detection system with the appropriate
>sensitivity highlight these without having to amplify as is necessary
>with DNA.

Dear Howie
We have experience with fluorescently labelled oligonucleotide
riboprobes (both DNA and RNA constructs) targeted to either 16S rRNA
genomic DNA (as a taxonomic tool) or to expressed 16S rRNA (as a
diagnostic/viability indicator). These probes have been used
successfully in the detection of Legionella spp in biofilm systems. As
there are some 10>4 - 10>5 ribosomes/cell (ie ~40-50% cell mass in
rapidly growing cells) then an 'amplification' effect is elicited in
growing cells  (obviously reduced in VNC status). Please contact me if
you need more information

Kevin Bown

Kevin Bown,
Centre for Applied Microbiology & Research,
Wilts, SP4 OJG. UK.
Tel: +44(0)1980 612666
Fax: +44(0)1980 612731
e-mail: kevin.bown at camr.org.uk