PCR internal control

David Croan david.croan at agal.gov.au
Tue Mar 24 04:47:11 EST 1998

I would like to hear from anyone utilising or developing diagnostic
PCRs. More specifically I would like your views on the need for an
internal control and the nature of that control. I have inserted a
synthetic fragment into a cloned PCR target which I include in my
reaction. Obviously this is desirable to the extent that one can
positively determine the success of the PCR e.g. whether or not a sample
contains inhibitory agents etc. However in my experience, I have seen a
quite dramatic decrease in sensitivity due to the competitive reaction.
Also this makes colormetric detection using bio/strept. impossible.

Thankyou for your comments