Discrimination between Human rInsulin and endogenous Insulin

Craig Webster cwebster at broombio.demon.co.uk
Thu May 7 07:51:52 EST 1998

In article <6ipja5$gm0 at net.bio.net>, Larry Winger
<Larry.Winger at ocl.ac.uk> writes
>An obvious question, perhaps, but I wonder whether standard assays for
>insulin can discriminate between recombinant insulin and endogenous
>material?

The usual way is to measure a c-peptide at the same time as the insulin.
As you probably know c-peptide is produced from the cleavage of pro-
insulin which does not occur with recombinant insulin.

--
Craig Webster                   |Tel: 01245 514013
Senior Clinical Biochemist      |Fax: 01245 514077
Broomfield Hospital             |email: cwebster at broombio.demon.co.uk
Chelmsford, Essex, UK           |http://www.broombio.demon.co.uk/