A Practical Global IPM Information Source

Allan Deutsch deutscha at bcc.orst.edu
Wed Jun 16 03:16:00 EST 1999

                                ======
             #----------------- IPMnet -------------------#
             |                  ======                    |
             |     Integrated Pest Management Network     |
             #--------------------------------------------#
                              15 June 99

* IPMnet is a free, non-commercial, global information service.

  *  The monthly IPMnet NEWS now reaches over 3,000 of your colleagues and
          collaborators in 110 countries.

     * IPMnet is dedicated to constructively fostering and improving
            realistic IPM worldwide.

     Thus, if any of your programs, activities, or interests involve IPM
(or pest management in general), you also might be interested in IPMnet
and free, direct-to-your-email box delivery of the monthly IPMnet NEWS, as
well as free access to IPMnet's website with extensive links to useful IPM
information, such as the award-winning (free) DATABASE OF IPM RESOURCES and
the acclaimed electronic (free) RADCLIFFE'S IPM WORLD TEXTBOOK.

    This short message (even though unsolicited) describes IPMnet, and
so could be of use, and benefit to you. Naturally, if you're already linked
to IPMnet, or have no interest in integrated--or other--pest management, or
have constraints in accessing e-mail and the web, excuse the intrusion.

      *#############################[*]###############################*
      [ ___ _____ __    __              __   __ __ __         __ ___  ]
      [  |  |    | |\  /|                |\   | |   \         / /   \ ]
      [  |  |    | | \/ | |/=\  /==\=|=  | \  | |    \   |   /  |===\ ]
      [  |  |====/ |    | |   | |==/ |   |  \ | |===  \ /`\ /       | ]
      [  |  |      |    | |   | |    |   |   \| |      \   /        | ]
      [ === ==    ===  ====   = \==/ \/ ===   ======= === === \=====/ ]
      [ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
      [ IPMnet NEWS               June 1999              Issue no. 66 ]
      [ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
      [       The Consortium for International Crop Protection        ]
      [            produces and provides IPMnet NEWS as a             ]
      [       free, electronic global IPM Information resource.       ]
      ###############################[*]###############################

      .........{ newsletter text omitted--explanation follows }........

                                  ~~~~~~~~~
    IPMnet is a free, global, non-commercial electronic Integrated Pest
Management information source specifically focused on contemporary,
economic, environmentally-attuned approaches to managing/controlling
weed, disease, insect, nematode, and vertebrate pests in crops and amenity
plantings. IPMnet and the electronic newsletter it produces and distributes
worldwide--IPMnet NEWS (the masthead above)--offer free services via
either or both:

        #  automatic direct delivery to your e-mail box each month; and,
        #  World Wide Web.

    IPMnet NEWS, now in its sixth year of service and with worldwide
recognition, is purpose-designed to provide very brief, timely, multi-
disciplinary, worldwide "news-you-can-use" (but no adverts) to all
concerned with elements of IPM/pest management:

      * development    * research     * field implementation
      * extension / adoption     * policy      * impact / socio-economics.

    The NEWS strives to alert its readers to the latest new resources,
research, extension materials, publications, CDs, trends, problems,
solutions, professional opportunities, materials, and equipment. In short,
anything that relates to improved, practical, environmentally responsible
pest management may be included.

    The NEWS aims for a balanced, broad view, but with comity. It shuns
finger-pointing, hectoring, or similar uncivilities, roles many other
communications and information channels more than adequately fulfill. By
contrast, IPMnet emphasizes usable, factual, practical information with an
occasional clearly identified opinion. However, it is not hesitant to point
out a lack of facts or other shortcomings in materials intended for wide
public consumption. Since by definition IPM can include virtually all pest
management tactics, news about any method may appear in the NEWS. To
IPMnet, the letters I, P, and M embrace concerns about all major classes of
pests and are not limited to "insect pest management."

    Participants often help create the substance that has made IPMnet
a major informative and cooperative global communication conduit for
IPM/pest management information cutting across all related disciplines
and professions.

    IPMnet is sponsored by the not-for-profit Consortium for International
Crop Protection (CICP), a pioneer in international implementation of envi-
ronmentally responsible pest management. The Consortium comprises 10 U.S.
land grant universities, the Univ. of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Dept. of
Agriculture. Though these institutions are within the extended U.S.,
IPMnet's charter clearly emphasizes a broad international focus.

     |  While there are other excellent, free, electronic periodic   |
     |  information sources that relate to IPM, CICP is not aware of |
     |  any other comparable, broad-scope, regular monthly global    |
     |  information delivery service.                                |

    Thus, if IPMnet's free information resources can be of service and
support for your activities, or those of your colleagues, we encourage
you to .....

        [1] Subscribe for regular monthly delivery of IPMnet NEWS (files
            run 32K to 36K per issue) automatically sent to your e-mail
            address;

       ---> NOTE: beyond Internet access, there is no cost to recipients;
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       ---> NOTE: the IPMnet NEWS mailing list is privately held, closely
                  secured, not for rent, and firmly restricted to use by
                  just the Consortium (for distribution of IPMnet NEWS).

        [2] Or, before subscribing, request a sample "copy" of IPMnet NEWS
            sent directly to your e-mail address (an easy way to evaluate
            its usefulness and content for your particular situation);

        [3] Receive information about IPMnet's background, rationale,
            history, and sponsor; or,

        [4] Request IPMnet's World Wide Web free access information,

.. by sending an e-mail message indicating any, or all, of items #1-4 for
which you desire a response, along with your preferred e-mail address, to:

              <IPMnetNUZ at bcc.orst.edu>
                           .....and IPMnet will respond accordingly.

    Whether you subscribe or not, IPMnet NEWS welcomes receiving
information about global/local IPM developments. Please forward to
<IPMnetNUZ at bcc.orst.edu> any information you believe would be of
interest and use to the expanding worldwide IPM community, such as:

     # progress   # new research   # set-backs   # technology (including
     production, field, and research equipment), and other products
     related to IPM   # socio-economic aspects of adoption, methods,
     etc., or,  # open positions and professional opportunities.

    IPMnet NEWS makes an effort to acknowledge sources, and authors of the
materials/items it mentions.

    The NEWS also welcomes information about IPM-related PUBLICATIONS and
CDs, as well as CALENDAR events (symposia, conferences, training courses,
etc.). The IPMnet CALENDAR is one of the most complete, monthly revised
lists available anywhere, and offers up-to-date information about
international, regional, and national events related to IPM.

    Finally, IPMnet welcomes you to use its services, and looks forward
to providing useful information in support of your professional or
private interests and/or your organization's programs and goals.

                             Cordially,  --IPMnet Staff

P.S. If you're willing, please forward this information to other
     individuals or institutions whom you believe have an interest
in IPM, and encourage their participation. After all, IPM and the
results its broad adoption can achieve, are potentially important in
one way or another to nearly everybody.

                                  ###