Question about the legal use of PCR

news at news at
Tue Aug 22 08:14:17 EST 2000

Roche owns most, if not all, of the patents for PCR.  Although some of
patents have been in litigation for the past year or two, I believe that
is still collecting royalties from those labs that continue to use the
technique.  When I worked for a clinical lab that was using "homebred"
protocols we had to pay a royalty to Roche even though we were not using
kits and reagents..

I'm not a legal authority, and I encourage you to consult one (i.e., if
belong to an academic institution you should talk to your institution's
counsel), but I would expect that you would have to obtain the license
and pay
the royalty.

nobody at, [mailto:nobody at], On, Behalf, Of