In Situ to Whole Embryos vs. X-Gal Staining

Charlie Wright Genetics cw117 at mbfs.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 05:57:23 EST 1993

I have recently de-chorionated, fixed, and devitellinised embryos with the
intention of X-Gal staining them.  The only main difference between this
and the In Situ fixation steps is that EtOH is used for devitell. rather
than MeOH (which interferes with the X-Gal procedure.)  Does anyone know
if the embryos that I have prepared for X-Gal staining (stored in EtOH now)
can be used for In Situs with Dig. labelled probes?  I have more than
enough for X-Gal and would be very happy to use them for the In Situ work.
It seems silly to fix even more simply in order to use MeOH if there is no
problem with EtOH.  I hope I haven't confused everyone as much as I've
confused myself here.  Cheers,

Charlie Wright
--
C. R. Wright                                    Dept. of Genetics
+44 (0)223 333970 telephone                     Univ. of Cambridge