Ser or Bd[S]?

William Gelbart gelbart at MORGAN.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Dec 17 09:35:36 EST 1993

Dear Dr. Fuyama:

You will undoubtedly find many such examples of inconsistencies between
the New Red Book and stock lists.  These inconsistencies are generally
historical or sociological, and evolve from the fact that different groups
have been maintaining these different data files.  Common names in use for
a long time (such as Ser) will only slowly be replaced in such independent
stock lists by their newer proper synonyms (Bd[S]).

You are probably aware of the FlyBase project to build a relational database
structure to house continually curated information on the genetics of
Drosophila.  We are in the early stages of the project, but once this
structure is in place, such inconsistencies should disappear (at least for
the stock collections that are submitted to FlyBase).  For exactly this
reason, we encourage every Drosophila lab to publish its stock collection
through FlyBase.

If you are not familiar with FlyBase but wish to be, please let me know.

Bill Gelbart
(for the FlyBase Consortium)