Drosophila Information Newsletter Vol. 11

Kathy Matthews matthewk at fly.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Jul 1 15:14:31 EST 1993

                DROSOPHILA INFORMATION NEWSLETTER
                     Volume 11, July 1993

     The Drosophila Information Newsletter has been established
with the hope of providing a timely forum for informal
communication among Drosophila workers. The Newsletter will be
published quarterly and distributed electronically, free of
charge. We will try to strike a balance between maximizing the
useful information included and keeping the format short;
priority will be given to genetic and technical information.
Brevity is essential. If a more lengthy communication is felt to
be of value, the material should be summarized and an address
made available for interested individuals to request more
information. Submitted material will be edited for brevity and
arranged into each issue. Research reports, lengthy items that
cannot be effectively summarized, and material that requires
illustration for clarity should be sent directly to Jim Thompson
(THOMPSON at AARDVARK.UCS.UOKNOR.EDU) for publication in DIS.
Materials appearing in the Newsletter will be reprinted in DIS.
Back issues of DIN are available from FlyBase in the directory
flybase/news or in News/ when accessing FlyBase with Gopher.
Material appearing in the Newsletter may be cited unless
specifically noted otherwise.
     Material for publication should be submitted by e-mail.
Figures and photographs cannot be accepted at present. Send
technical notes to Carl Thummel and all other material to Kathy
Matthews. The e-mail format does not allow special characters to
be included in the text. Both superscripts and subscripts have
been enclosed in square brackets; the difference should be
obvious by context. Bold face, italics, underlining, etc. cannot
be retained. Please keep this in mind when preparing submissions.
To maintain the original format when printing DIN, use Courier
10cpi font on a standard 8.5" x 11" page with 1" margins.
     Drosophila Information Newsletter is a trial effort that
will only succeed if a broad segment of the community
participates. If you have information that would be useful to
your colleagues, please take the time to pass it along.

The editors:
Carl Thummel                            Kathy Matthews
Dept. of Human Genetics                 Dept. of Biology
Eccles Institute - Bldg. 533            Indiana University
University of Utah                      Bloomington, IN 47405
Salt Lake City, UT 84112                812-855-5782; FAX/2577
801-581-2937; FAX/5374                  MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
CTHUMMEL at HMBGMAIL.MED.UTAH.EDU          MATTHEWK at INDIANA.BITNET
***

To add your name to the Newsletter distribution list, send one of
the following E-mail messages from the account at which you wish
to receive DIN.
Via Bitnet --     To: LISTSERV at IUBVM
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
Via Internet --   To: LISTSERV at IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
                  Message: SUB DIS-L Your real name
     LISTSERV will extract your user name and node from the E-
mail header and add you to the list. Use your Internet address if
you have one. You will receive confirmation by E-mail if you have
successfully signed on to the list. If you are on the list and do
not wish to receive DIN, or you want to remove a soon-to-be-
defunct address, replace SUB in the above message with UNS. The
SUB command can also be used to correct spelling errors in your
real name; the new entry will simply replace the old as long as
it was sent from the same USERID at NODE address.
***
                  DIN Vol. 11 TABLE OF CONTENTS

     >Introduction to Drosophila Information Newsletter
     >How to subscribe to the Newsletter
>TABLE OF CONTENTS
>ANNOUNCEMENTS
     >1994 National Drosophila Conference
     >Recent additions to FlyBase
     >Bloomington Stock Center News
>REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS
     >Inserts or lethals in 17AB
     >Df(3L)Mg
     >ms(2)E8 and ms(2)E9
     >Documents for Drosophila thesaurus
     >DIS 1-33
>MATERIALS AVAILABLE
     >Chromosome 3 homozygous-by-descent lines
>TECHNICAL NOTES
     >Double-sided sticky tape for embryo injections
     >Cryopreservation of Drosophila embryos
     >Materials from the Drosophila Genome Center
>GENETIC NOTES
     >Updates and corrections to the Redbook
***
                          ANNOUNCEMENTS

DROSOPHILA CONFERENCE
     The 1994 National Drosophila Conference will be held April
20-24, 1994 in Chicago, Illinois. Victoria Finnerty, Emery
University, is the meeting organizer. Send suggestions for the
1994 conference format to VICTORIA at BIOLOGY.EMERY.EDU.
***

RECENT ADDITIONS TO FLYBASE
     *A major new FlyBase product has been released to the
FlyBase server at Indiana, and is available either by Gopher (in
Flybase/References) or by ftp (in flybase/refs directory). It is
a unified list of publications concerning Drosophila. Drawn from
a variety of sources (described in references-sources.txt) it
includes 51552 entries, from 1684 to 1993. All are full
references with as complete bibliographic information as is
available.
     You can search this reference list via Gopher. The reference
file is available in a few formats including refer, as readable
by many bibliographic programs including Endnote, Pro-Cite and
Refer, and comma-separated-values (csv) as used by many
spreadsheet and database programs.
     It is impossible that this file is either 'complete' or free
of errors. Mail flybase-refs at morgan.harvard.edu with additions
and corrections.
     * The stock list of the National Drosophila Species Resource
Center at Bowling Green is now available on FlyBase. Three
versions of the list are posted: 1) species-center.rtf contains
the center's catalogue in rich text format, which retains
formatting information from the original word-processing file
provided by the stock center. If you have a word processing
program that handles rtf you can print a copy of the center's
catalogue from this file; 2) species-center.txt is a
database/spreadsheet format file; 3) species-center.rpt is a file
in report format more easily read by humans than the txt file
(when searching the stock list with gopher, information from this
report file is returned). See the document species-center.doc for
further information about the species stock center and these
files. All of these files are in the directory
flybase/stocks/stock-centers.
***

BLOOMINGTON STOCK CENTER NEWS
     *The Bloomington Stock Center will be closed the week of
September 13, 1993. Requests received by noon CDT on September 9
will be shipped as usual on the 13th. Orders placed between noon
on the 9th and noon on the 23rd will be shipped on September 27.
Please plan accordingly.
     *Second chromosome lethal P-inserted stocks from the
Drosophila Genome Center will soon be available. Third chromosome
inserts should be available sometime this fall. Less well
characterized insertion strains or those containing less
versatile constructs will be discarded at some point in favor of
the new stocks. Individuals who contributed the stocks will be
notified personally before stocks are discarded and a list of all
stocks to be discarded will be posted on the BIOSCI/Bionet
Drosophila newsgroup (see DIN Vol. 10) six weeks before stocks
are to be discarded. Discard lists will also be posted on FlyBase
in the file stock-center-news.doc in the directory
flybase/stocks/stock-centers/bloomington. If you would like to
receive a copy of stocks on the discard list please order them as
soon as possible after the list is made public.
     *HAVE YOU MOVED? If you have a new mailing address please
EXPLICITLY state this when you order stocks, or let Kathy know as
soon as you move so our files can be updated. Address labels are
generated by computer from our master address file and are not
checked individually against each order. Flies sent to the wrong
address create delays for you and extra work for us so please
help us keep our records current.
***
                     REQUESTS FOR MATERIALS

INSERTS OR LETHALS IN 17AB
Lee Fradkin, Nusse Lab, HHMI, CMGM B269, Stanford Medical Center,
Stanford, CA 94305. FRADKIN at CMGM.STANFORD.EDU.
        We would appreciate strains or information about strains
with enhancer traps or lethals that map to the 17AB region.
Thanks.
***

DEFECIENCY
Rob Jackson, Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, 222
Maple Ave., Shrewsbury, MA 01545. JACKSON at SCI.WFEB.EDU.
     I'm looking for Df(3L)Mg27 produced by Mglinetz. I would
appreciate hearing from anyone who has this deficiency or knows
of its whereabouts.
***

MALE STERILES
Peter Clyne, Dept. of Biology, Yale U., PO Box 6666, New Haven CT
06511, USA. 203-432-3542, Fax/5631, DRONGO at VENUS.CIS.YALE.EDU
     I am seeking ms(2)E8 and ms(2)E9 flies which were first
isolated by Edmonson in 1951. Both flies and information about
whom to contact directly for the flies would be deeply
appreciated. Thank you.
***

MATERIAL FOR FLY THESAURUS
Joanne Martinez, U. of Arizona School of Library Science/Dept.
Management Information Systems. JPMARTIN at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
     Our group is developing an automatic thesaurus for the
Drosophila research community. We are gathering "object filters"
(gene names, protein function names, researcher names, technique
names, subjects and other keywords), as well as full text
electronic documents for cluster analysis (semantic
relationships). The flybase and online Redbook have been very
helpful for the former, but we need more electronic full text
documents for determining relationships between words.
     I ask your assistance in providing us with a wide range of
full text documents in *electronic* format, particularly
abstracts and review-type articles. This is important, so that
the terms in our thesaurus are as rich as possible, i.e. that the
thesaurus covers as much of the terminology used in Drosophila
research as possible.
     The documents will *not* be used for their intellectual
content, so there is no problem with copyright. We are only
interested in the terms and their relationships to one another.
The documents will be erased once we have extracted the objects
and conducted the cluster analysis.
Please send whatever files you can to: jpmartin at ccit.arizona.edu
     Thank you very much.
***

BACKISSUES OF DIS
Kathy Matthews, Dept. of Biology, Indiana U., Bloomington, IN
47401. 812-855-5782, FAX/2577, MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
     The Bloomington Stock Center would like to obtain a complete
set of Drosophila Information Service. We have all volumes from
number 34 to the present. If you h