UGA Stop exceptions?

Jon Reiss jareiss at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
Thu May 13 18:22:58 EST 1993

cinnamon is a complex locus involved in molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis.  Genomic and cDNA sequencing by Puloma K. Kamdar has revealed UGA  codons in an  (otherwise) ORF.  The ORF has been confirmed by homology  to  similar proteins in E. coli and rats.  So, now we are wondering whether this is a common but  rarely published phenomenon, and whether  anything is known about the DNA context  of this occurrence.

If you have any relevant or interesting information,  please E-mail  me or post  to bionet.drosophila.

Thanks,

Jonathan A. Reiss
jreiss at biology.emory.edu