(again) UGA stop exceptions?

Jon Reiss jareiss at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
Fri May 14 10:14:06 EST 1993

Hi again everyone!
Thanks to those that responded to my previous posting.
Some have said that my message was garbled.  This
appears to be due to some problem w/ line length.
Is there a quick fix for this?

Anyway, for those that missed or couldn't read my previous
posting,  here's the story.

I'm in Vicky Finnerty's lab at Emory.  Collectively, we work on
the molybdenum cofactor genes and molybdoenzymes.  One of the
cofactor genes, cinnamon, is being sequenced by Puloma K. Kamdar.
She has found and confirmed UGA codons in an (otherwise) ORF.
We are aware of the possibility that these codons are for seleno-
cysteine.  Is there a specific (or general) DNA context for this?
We are also wondering about the frequency of this in the melano-
gaster genome.  Any data  or anecdotes would be appreciated.
If you have found UGA non-stops in your gene(s), please let us
know as well.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read
and respond.

Jonathan A. Reiss
jreiss at biology.emory.edu